Cowes Primary School, State School 1282, was established in 1874 in a leased building in the main street of Cowes and quickly became the centre of social life within the town.
The school grew, so much so that a 6.2 hectare parcel of land was purchased in Settlement Road in 1952 with the intention of building a consolidated Phillip Island School.
The school was opened on its current site in August 1954 with only two rooms and an office. It was never big enough and for many years the school operated from two sites. Finally in 1966, the school underwent a redevelopment and the school was united.
Cowes Primary School still operates from this site today but has undergone a number of redevelopments. It currently consists of three main buildings as well as a number of relocatable buildings, a gym, swimming pool and specialist areas. It has extensive playgrounds and a native bush sanctuary. Our school also has an on-site Early Childhood Centre which caters for long day care and Kindergarten Programs. Our school remains to this day at the heart of the community.
Please feel free to contact us to arrange a school tour or for any other information or assistance, our contact details are;
Ph: 5952 2132 and 5952 2008.
Cowes Primary School
177 Settlement Rd
Cowes Vic 3922